VACANCY FOR PROTECTION MONITORS AT CCEPI SOUTHERN BORNO
JOB TITLE: Protection Monitors
LOCATIONS: BORNO(BIU & BAYO)
START DATE: 1ST June, 2017
Nigeria remains in a humanitarian and protection crisis, requiring protection to be central to the humanitarian response and Government strategy. The conflict in NE (North East) Nigeria has resulted 1.8 million Internally Displaced Persons within NE Nigeria. Many of the displaced are women, children, the elderly and others with specific needs.
By November 2016, 164,281 Nigerians returned from Cameroon and Niger to Borno, Yobe and Adamawa States. The situation of returns to Nigeria has also been exacerbated by repeated attacks by Boko Haram against Niger and Cameroon leaving a wake of injured and dead creating an environment of suspicion towards foreigners and migrants and resulting into strong pressure on the asylum space in these countries. Returnees report being subjected to some conditions in the countries of asylum: forced returns, economic hardship, lack of basic assistance, accusations of affiliations with Boko Haram leading to arrests and confiscation of properties. As a result, UNHCR and Government Authorities have witnessed ad hoc and spontaneous returns of Nigerians from Cameroon and Niger. Nigerian authorities have indicated that they are expecting more returnees from the 180,000 refugees in Cameroon, Chad and Niger. This situation calls for comprehensive collection of returnees' information and seamless management of information from the point of arrival. While implementing targeted and timely protection services, it is essential to anchor long term solutions and a strong protective environment, including identifying and reaching all vulnerable groups across the NE, broadening outreach beyond campsites and currently accessible/liberated areas.
SCOPE OF THE WORK:
The Protection monitor is responsible for the day to day protection monitoring activities in the above listed locations and reports to the Protection Officer Borno.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Manual registration and vulnerability screening of IDPs, refugee Returnees and Returnees.
- Support and Coordinate vulnerability screening activities in selected areas
- Establish community based Protection through support to PAG structures in relevant communities
- Community sensitization on Child Protection
- Key Informant and referrals on SGBV Cases
- Household interviews aimed at understanding and prioritizing the immediate needs of IDPs and Returnees
- Distribution of NFIs
- Post Distribution monitoring of NFIs
- Facilitate cash component of shelter materials/kits provision to targeted households
- Post distribution monitoring of the shelter material project.
- Bachelor degree for refresh applicants and Diploma & NCE for existing CCEPI staff/volunteers .
- knowledge of protection monitoring highly desirable
- Relevant experience in related field is highly desirable
- Good and timely reporting
- Strong sense of personal integrity.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Team spirit and problem solving abilities.
- Knowledge of community based protection monitoring.
- Familiarity with protection mainstreaming..
- Work experience in NGO work.
- Competent in spoken & written English and local languages of the communities
- Competent use of MS office..
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS WILL BE BY CLOSE OF BUSINESS ON 29TH MAY, 2017